Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Be Healthy: The Beginning

So, as I mentioned in a previous post, I am working on getting healthy again.  After 3 years of saying goodbye to rollerderby and getting into a serious relationship, I found my comfort zone and from that, I don't want to really do a whole lot of anything else.  And from this, I've managed to gain some extra pounds that I've been carrying with me.  It makes me tired, lazy, and eat a whole lot of crappy food.  So, after a lifetime of added damage from soda, I'm really unhealthy.  So, I made a real conscience effort to do a lot a whole lifestyle change.

Here is the back story, for several weeks I kept having severe chest pains almost everyday.  To the point that it was almost unbareable.  And I was getting swollen feet in the evening when I decided to unwind.  So, after a lot of persuasion from family, Derek, and even my former supervisor to make a doctor's appointment to find out what's going on.  After 3 weeks,  finally did it.  With explanation to the nurse on the whole about the chest pain, they pleaded that I go into the ER right away, because they said it sounded like I was showing symptoms of a heartattack.  Excuse me!?  I'm in my mid-30's, I'm not suppose to be having anything like that happening right now.  I opposed going to ER, but instead made an appointment to have some tests done for the very next day.
Source
At the doctor's office, I had 5 viles of blood drawn, and was given 3 shots and an EKG.  And then I waited.  I waited a whole week to get my results.  But when I did, they weren't what I wanted to hear.  The results were that I had high blood preasure and I was pre-diabetic.  Say what!?  Pre-diabetic???  Okay.  Breathe.  Relax.  I don't want to get my blood preasure up.  Again.  Take a deep breath.  But how am I suppose to fix this about myself?  So, for about the last few months, I dwelled on it.  And I did nothing to make it better.

So, let's fast forward to today.  I start a little over a week ago.  And I keep thinking about how I've always managed to start and never finish, so I could have been a lot further along if I would have stuck to it.  But if I really think about it, I was always doing it for the wrong reasons.  And usually they were to attract a boy.  But this time...well, this time it's for me.  It's for my health.  It's so I can beat being pre-diabetic.
Source
And within the last week or so, I kicked soda's ass and I feel great about it.  Soda to me is like crack to druggies.  It was my biggest addiction.  It's something that I've had in my life since I was a kid.  It was my go-to drink of choice.  Some people have coffee.  Some people have cigarettes.  But I had soda.  I was telling someone that I gave it the jedi mindtrick and made myself believe that it just doesn't taste good.  And it really doesn't, if you think about it.  It's been really hard for me.  I've been detoxing and the hunger pangs kick in usually all day.  But I've been filling up on water with an occasional chai tea.

Also my food choices have changed.  Before we would use drive-thrus to our benefits, but we've left the drive-thrus in the dust.  We take our lunches and have breakfast at home.  And I started cooking.  I'm sure I'll post some recipes that I've been whipping up.  And it's been so much healthier for us.  But after this last week without caffeine and not really filling up on crappy foods, I've lost energy.  So, getting out there and doing some fun activities to get moving is my next step. Which I am starting tomorrow after work, with a hike with the boys.  This should be interesting.  Keep an eye out for more posts on being healthy.

Before Photo:
This was Derek and I last Valentine's Day.  Excuse the duckface, but you can see it in my face, the weight that I've managed to gain and I'm sure I've gained more since.
Until next time, lovelies!
Miss Hell

0 comments: