Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Around San Diego: Midcentury Modern Architecture


In the wake of all things midcentury modern (thank you, Mad Men) and the upcoming Modernism Week in Palm Springs this February, I've decided to do a post on some local San Diego midcentury architectural locations for you to check out.  I've searched the internet and found a few that were definitely note worthy.  Just look at these properties.  How could you not want to stake claim in these gems!?  San Diego is loaded with midcentury modern, as long as you know where to look.  Such as the exterior of the Macy's building in Mission Valley mall.  And most local liberaries just like North Clairemont and Mission Hills. They are hiding in every nook and cranny around the county.  But if you don't know what you're looking at, then you'd miss it.  So here are a few of my favorites.  Enjoy the beauty.

Atoll House in San Diego by designers Kendrick Bangs Kellogg

The Pearl Hotel in Point Loma
Source

Solomon Apartment building by designer Henry Hester
Source 

The Jones House on Mount Solidad by designer William Krisel
Source

Local Home in San Diego
Source

Clairemont Lutheran Church
Source
  For more information and tours on Midcentury Modern architecture in San Diego, click here.

Until next time, lovelies!
Miss Hell

3 comments:

silver said...

Great stuff! I live in the 5th house from the top of your post and run www.modernsandiego.com. Let me know if you want more for future posts.

Keep it up!
Keith

Miss Hell said...

Thank you, Keith! I love your house. I love all MCM buildings. Each is so unique all in their own. I'd love to attend some tours you have to offer and blog about them. Please feel free to email me anytime or sign me up for mailers at mishe.enders77@gmail.com.

And thank you again!
Michelle

modarchitecture said...
This comment has been removed by the author.